16 June 2008

02.16.2008 - Myrtle Beach Marathon


Back before we even finished Thunder Road, our little running group was already talking about and planning our next race. Everyone decided a half marathon in February would be great. After a little research we determined the Myrtle Beach race was it. This was in October/November-ish, so obviously I had plenty of time to register.

The first of the year came and went and of course, I forgot to register. I went online mid-January and low and behold, the half marathon was full and no exceptions were to be made by race organizers. Believe me, I tried. Everyone else, including my training partner in crime, Nick, was already registered for the half.

I was stuck. At this point, my only options were to register for the full and run the half for no official time. Or run it rouge, which most likely would have got me kicked off the course. So what the heck, I decided to register for and run the full. Nick decided to follow suit, contacting the race organizers and getting his registration switched. So about 5-6 weeks out, we were now on the hook for a full marathon.

We went into training overdrive, trying to work in all of those big long runs before heading into the taper. Fortunately, we were able to get it all done. Before we knew it, the race was upon us. I had contacted my old band mate, Bart, who lives in Myrtle to see if we could stay with him. Nick and I were determined to do this race/trip on little to nothing.

After only a few wrong turns, we pulled into Myrtle Friday evening and headed to the expo for packet pick-up. We then met up with Bart at Outback for what has become the traditional pre-race chicken fettuccini alfredo. It was great hanging out with Bart. We hadn’t seen each other in close to eight years.

Only about four and a half solid hours of sleep and it was up and off to the starting line. The weather really couldn't have been more perfect. Very slight chill in the air, but moderate. High fifties/low sixties around race start. We got to the start on the street beside the minor league ballpark and across from the Broadway at the Beach complex.

Initial thought was that there were definitely more people than at the Charlotte race. Close to two thousand more to be exact. There was a riveting rendition of God Bless America, some words of encouragement from the emcee, the gun and we were off. It was 6:30 am and the sun had not even crested the horizon at this point.

The first two miles were a mess. This was not a wave start, so everyone was jumbled together at the start. At a couple of points in miles one and two, I was running up on the sidewalk to avoid the traffic jam on the street. By mile three, things were thinning out a bit and I had to lose the top layer shirt. As I tried pulling it over my head, the sleeve was caught under my Garmin and torn nearly off. It was trash.

By mile four, we were heading directly toward the beach and the sun had started coming up, which was very cool. I guess the race organizers planned it this way. We made the hard right turn onto Ocean Blvd. and the next 5-6 miles were running past all of the high rise beach front hotels that, well, I either partied at or was arrested at back in the high school days. If only those running around me knew…

Interesting first around mile 6 or so. I’m running along, doing my thing and I hear a cell phone ring. I figured it was a spectator until I realized on ring three it was following me. Just then a middle-aged woman running just behind me answers the phone she is carrying and proceeds to have about a two minute conversation with someone that was waiting for her at the half marathon finish line. Interesting.

I really enjoyed this part of the race. The scenery was great. The sunrise (or what I could see of it in between the towering hotels) was beautiful over the ocean. The time passed very fast and my pace was right on. I was clipping in around the 7:45 per mile range pretty consistently. Things were good.

The next few miles, and subsequently the first half of the race, went by really quick. It seemed like no time and I was passing the half split. I had the opportunity just before half way to run along side of one of the wheelchair participants, which was very cool. The crowd support miles 11-14 was very strong, which was reflected in my mile times. Miles 13-15, I was down in the 7:20’s, which was no doubt too fast. But the crowd energy and adrenaline was kicking in at this point.

We made our way back down to Ocean Blvd, this time taking a left hander, unfortunately, straight into a fairly brisk wind coming off the ocean. It was fairly chilly at first, too. Which was really strange because about five miles later, we were right out on the ocean in the sun and it got real hot real quick. Miles 15-18 were pretty uneventful. Crowd support was better than I expected, however still nothing like the first half. And I had to make about a one minute pit stop in the porta-potty around mile 17. Those who know me know this is a fairly regular routine I go through when running…

By mile 18, I started feeling the pains. The only slight uphill on the course was after we took a left hand turn and started heading inland a little. An official on a bike rode along with me for about a half mile and talked to me, which greatly helped pass the time and keep my mind off the ensuing pain. I didn’t really start feeling it until about mile 22 though.

After we had turned back on the main highway (Kings Hwy.) there were several water stops along there and great crowd support, which was helpful. Between miles 22 and 23, I was cruising along and smelled an odd, familiar scent. To my right on the front porch a couple of young guys were enjoying a mid-morning smoke of a little wackus weedus. Breakfast of champions.

Coming into the home stretch, I observed quite a painful site. Just past the mile 25 marker, a very tall young man, probably high school age, literally fell to the ground about 50 yards or so in front of me and began writhing in pain as both legs severely cramped up on him. Fortunately help was on site quickly, because I felt like a complete heel for not stopping and helping.

The finish line was outstanding. It was a long, narrow chute completely surrounded with folks for at least the last quarter mile or so. I crossed the line at 3:30:38, a new PR by 19 minutes from two months prior in Charlotte. I was ecstatic (and surprised) to say the least. The entire run felt great though I guess I didn’t think 19 minutes better than before great. I did have my Garmin for this race which was an amazing help. Highly, highly, highly recommend this race, especially if you are trying to qualify for Boston. Very well organized. Super flat and fast course. Good crowd support. I look forward to going back and doing this race again in the years to come, especially taking the whole family and making a weekend of it. Hopefully next time I can take the bike and enjoy the ride that they do the day after.

Official results 202nd overall
Event photos

No comments: