04 June 2009

03.07.09 - Corporate Cup Half Marathon

So given the number of long training runs that I’ve done preparing for marathons, I’ve technically run quite a few half marathons. However, I’d never actually toed-up to the line and ran one for a time. So having finished Myrtle Beach a few weeks earlier and having a good base built up (and the fact there was a half available here in Charlotte) I thought I’d give it a go.

The Corporate Cup Half has been a long-standing race staple in the area. The whole gist of this race is to put together a corporate team, so you get a bunch of folks together from your company and go run/walk the race. There really isn’t any award or anything, which kind of stinks, but it’s fun to get a group together anyway.

We put together a 15-man/woman team ‘sponsored’ by Run For Your Life. RFYL is one of the local running stores and command central for a lot of the training activities and race production in Charlotte. Pretty much everyone on the team either works for or trains from RFYL. And most of them are very fast. And younger. And fast. Faster than me.

We did a couple of training sessions together, got our t-shirts all made up and we were ready to roll. The race started right in downtown. Allyson was running the 5K event, so it was cool to go down there with her. The weather was perfect. I almost missed the start of the race making a last minute potty break. I was walking up to the line about a minute before the gun went off. Didn’t even see Allyson or get to wish her good luck.


So gun sounded and we were off. Four of us guys were going to pretty much pace together, shooting for a 1:35ish. We were again using the gradual increase in speed approach. I can’t remember what we set out at, but around the half way point, the four of us had separated and all settled into our own paces. And the fighting of the hills began…

Those not familiar with Charlotte, it is surprisingly hilly. If you don’t believe me, go to www.marathonguide.com and look for the Thunder Road Marathon in December and read the comments. The first part of the marathon is really hilly, which is more or less the second half of the Corporate Cup. The first major challenge is Providence Road right after the half way point. I remember feeling great pushing up this hill. About half way up, I came up on a buddy of mine that was really struggling. I gave him an encouraging smack on the rear and proceeded. I saw my buddy Paul Dye at the top of Providence. His house was about 300 yards away.

The course proceeds through the Myers Park area. Pretty uneventful except for the hills. Did I mention there are hills? I motored up the hill next to Myers Park High School with my friend and training buddy, Erik Johnson. Good to have some company going up that one. Then the last mile is literally a steady climb back into downtown Charlotte. All in all, I was keeping right on pace and feeling pretty good.

I made the sharp right into downtown, kicked it in and crossed in 1:33:47. The best case scenario goal was 1:35, so I was pretty pleased. Then shortly after, my good friend Nate-dog Hearns crossed the line in 1:39:52 running his first half marathon ever. Stud. Allyson had been waiting there for me for a while because she had smoked her 5K. So much so that she stinkin’ placed in her age group and she missed the award ceremony because she was waiting for me. Needless to say, I felt like a giant heel. We did end up picking up her award at a later date.

I really enjoyed the half distance. More of a success than the time or overall place was probably the consistency. I was able to go out and stick very consistent splits for the entire race, and confirmed that that progressive approach doesn’t work best for me. I’m better off to know what that target pace is and just go out and stick to it. Some may argue with me on that. Seems to work better for me.

Marathon season is officially over and it’s time to start turning up the heat on triathlon season. We’ll try again next year for Boston.

No comments: