18 June 2009

03.29.09 - MAP Triathlon


500 yard swim, 14 mile bile, 5K run

This race was not on my schedule for the year. In 2008, it was the first tri I ever did (see previous post) and had a great time doing it, however this year with a packed schedule and limited funds, it was not going to make the cut. Instead the plan was to volunteer as part of FCA-Endurance and cheer on all of the friends racing. But not so fast…

Nick had made contact with the race production company, Setup Events, and got us/FCA-E in to help out with packet pickup. We would be at the end of the line manning what we are now referring to the ‘Novice Table.’ After handing folks their race packet, we would ask if there was anything they needed help with or questions they had. It is a fantastic way to get face time with the athletes.

After I had left for the day, Nick on his own accord asked Hope (Setup employee and race director’s wife) if there were any relay spots open or if anyone needed someone for the race. She said no, but asked who was inquiring. He mentioned he was asking for me as he was already registered. She without hesitation said for me to come see her in the morning and she would provide me with a number. And she did. And just like that, I was racing.

There were very good things and one bad thing about this – the obvious being that I was racing. And gratis at that. There is simply no better triathlon to do than one someone is willing to give you. Thank you Hope and Nick. The one bad – MAP is a pool swim, and everyone is seeded ahead of time based on a 100 yard split time that is submitted. This can not in any way, shape or form be altered, so I was going to be starting 646th - or dead last - in the field.



So I got comfortable for while and cheered folks on. Once I finally started, I had to navigate some fairly crowded waters in the pool. My swim ended up being pretty slow, but it wasn’t the end of the world. At a couple of points I had to wait at the wall and find a clearance to get through. One lap I actually treaded water for five seconds or so before shoving my arm through a mess of people, touching the wall and moving on.

I exited the pool and it was onto the bike. Overall the weather was great, however there was a really nasty wind that had been persisting all morning. A lot of folks were coming off the bike and complaining about it. By the time I had got out on the bike, it was probably the worst it had been all day. On a very flat, open stretch of Hambright Road, I was pedaling as hard as I could, legs burning, heart rate maxed, giving it all I could and I looked down and was going 12 mph. Not good.



I pushed through the bike. It seemed like there was a headwind in every direction. In the last two miles, a city bus pulled out in front of me and I ended up having to pass it in the opposite lane going up a hill. I was pretty frustrated at this point. Had a USAT official caught that stunt, they probably would have penalized me like 60 minutes or something.

I came off the bike and had a horrendous calf cramp. Nick was close by encouraging me (he was already finished and had a fantastic race. Killed the bike. Just killed it) I finally got my shoes on was off for the run. The course was significantly changed for the better this year. The run went fine and I crossed the line a couple minutes faster than the previous year. 1:11:12.

At my church back in Nashville, they always end every sermon, regardless of topic or who is teaching, with a ‘So What?’ The ‘So What?’ is the take way moment from this message, i.e. ‘so what do I do with what God has said to me today?’ Starting with the new triathlon season, I decided I needed to include the ‘so what’ into my race summaries, so here it goes…

So Whats?

- Triathlon racing should be fun. If at any point it isn’t, things need to change at that point. I found myself handed an opportunity and being all frustrated and bothered due to circumstances. Need to look for God and His goodness in each moment and focus on that versus frustrations.

- I need to get physically stronger in a big way. I believe the majority of my issue on the bike was less about the heavy winds and more about me not being in the right kind of strength shape, especially core.

Next up is a big one. East Cooper Coastal. Heading down to Isle of Palms to race with my old high school buddy, Steve Glover, who is also now doing triathlon. First ocean swim. I’m completely horrified. Words can’t even describe how horrified. We’ll see how it goes.

No comments: