24 December 2012

12.24.12 - Church favoritism

I could very easily get in the flesh here and potentially ruin my witness.  But the text in the first half of James 2 gets me worked up.  I admit it.  It always has.  It hits home and gets a bit personal for me.  Ephesians 4:26 says to not sin in your anger.  I'll do my best not to.

First and foremost, I have to remind myself that I cannot add to or inspire God's Word any more than He has or will do through his Holy Spirit.  It stands alone and is truly "sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of the soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

Speak, Word of God, speak...

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=james%202:1-13&version=ESV

My two cents here - and I'll  go toe to toe with anyone reading and willing to do so - but I believe this to be a massive issue in the American church today.  Perhaps one of the biggest, as so much flows downhill within the body from this core issue.  I've seen this partiality in action.  I've helped build churches and served on well-intentioned leadership teams that have been blind to this partiality.  I will refrain from incriminating and disgusting examples.  (Stop, Ryan.  Listen to your words above.)

Lord, forgive us.  Forgive me.  For building organizations that cater to the consuming masses and not the poor and hungry.  For building palaces that are unwelcoming to the unwelcomed.  For not listening to the heart cry to engage the least of them.  For showing little mercy and much judgement (verse 13).

No comments: