23 November 2012

11.20.12 - Prone to wander

Some of the most honest lyrics ever to be penned were in 1757 by 22 year old Robert Robinson in the classic hymn "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing"... 'Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love;'


I hear you, Bob. That's me. Like every day sometimes. Some of you may relate. Prone to turn from God and choose self, sin, insert blank (there are options, for me at least.)  God knows we will do this. Just like he watched the Israelites wander. This is recounted in 1Corinthians 10. In verse 12, He tells us to 'Be careful. Your self confidence is useless. You are capable of jacking it up as bad as the Israelites did.' But then in verse 13, hope. 'When the temptation comes (and it will come) it will be a temptation common to man. Nothing new under the sun. And it's not beyond what you can handle. And… I'll give you a way out, so that you can endure."


I wander more than I'd like to admit. I'm hopeful today because of these verses. I pray you are as well.

No comments: