28 November 2012

11.28.12 - Citizenship?


Reflecting this morning on Jesus' prayer in John 17.  Reflecting on one of the subjects of his petition -  us.  Here is what he describes:

A people who are not just hearers, but keepers of God's word...  A people who recognize the only source of eternal life...  A people who have changed their citizenship from this world to another...  A people so tied to God's word they are hated by this world (so much so they require protection from this world...)  A sent people, carrying the gospel into the world.

His prayer is assumptive.  If we are truly in Him, then this is what it looks like.  For all of us.  All starting with his Word, imparted in us through Jesus himself.

A song by Caedmon's Call a few years back captures the struggle within these versus. One I relate to.  You may as well.

There's tarnish on the golden rule
And I wanna jump from this ship of fools
Show me a place where hope is young
And a people who aren't afraid to love


This world has nothing for me and this world has everything
All that I could want and nothing that I need


This world is making me drunk on the spirits of fear.
So when he says who will go, I am nowhere near.


And the least of these look like criminals to me
So I leave Christ on the street


This world has held my hand and has led me into intolerance
But now I'm waking up, but now I'm breaking up
But now I'm making up for lost time




No comments: