26 November 2012

11.26.12 - Bon Jovi

Last week I was in the car, the radio tuned to some local station. I found myself singing along to a Bon Jovi song. ‘Living on a Prayer’ if I’m not mistaken. I was peeling off lyrics as if I was front and center at Madison Square Garden with Richie Sambora at my side. Then, it occurred to me…

How do I even know this song? How do I know these lyrics? I’m not a Bon Jovi fan. Nor ever have been. I’ve never owned an album. I never had a stone-washed jean jacket or attempted to create a perfectly coiffed, feathered mane of hair (I did a lot of other ridiculous things to my hair.)

For some crazy reason, this scenario last week came to mind as I was in Psalm 119 this morning. Versus 9 thru 16. I have no desire to store up these lyrics. Declare them with my mouth. Not forget them. Yet, I’ve done just the opposite. Sometimes intentionally and other times by lazily allowing it. Things other than the God’s word, commandments, statutes, rules, precepts have occupied far too much landscape in my mind over the years. Dare I say, in my heart.

I wonder what Bon Jovi thinks about Jesus? Or if anyone has ever shared the gospel with him?

Father in Heaven, with my whole heart may I seek you. Let me not wander from your commandments. May I stored up your word in my heart that I may not sin against you. And that your Word is more common and recallable than a Bon Jovi song I could care less about.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=psalm%20119:9-16&version=ESV

No comments: